Tickets available 3 weeks before concert
Harrow Philharmonic Choir meets every week on Monday evenings to rehearse at the Victoria Hall on Sheepcote Road in Central Harrow. We usually give four concerts a year, including a Christmas Concert, performing a wide range of music, both secular and sacred, from many centuries. Over the last few years we have put on a choral workshop and, last year we rehearsed during the day and then gave the a concert at 5.p.m. This gave everyone a clear evening.
- We are known to be a very friendly society and welcome anyone who can sing and enjoys good music.
- A Committee is elected at the Annual General Meeting at the end of each season and this group runs the choir.
- Members pay an annual subscription which is reviewed at the AGM.
- The subscription goes towards the hiring of venues, paying the conductor and accompanist etc.
- There are fundraising events during the year which all help our funds.
- At least one concert a year is performed for charity.
Dame Janet Baker
Dame Janet Baker – We are privileged and honoured to have Dame Janet as our longstanding president. She actively supports us, for which we are extremely grateful.
John Wyatt – John began studying the organ with Richard Hickox at St. Margaret’s Church, Westminster at the age of fourteen having started with the piano at the age of seven. He continued his musical education at the Royal Academy of Music where his teachers included Douglas Hawkridge for organ and Paul Steinitz for harmony and continuo playing. John was organist and choirmaster at St. Augustine’s Church, Kilburn for several years and more recently at St. James’ Church, Bushey. He is now Director of Music at Aldenham School, Elstree and conducts us – the Harrow Philharmonic Choir, – Aldenham School Chapel Choir and Choral Society and Bushey Festival Choir. He has been conductor of Harrow Philharmonic Choir since 1991, bringing enthusiasm and humour along with his commitment to excellence in the choral singing tradition.
Heather Toyn – Heather has been accompanist to the choir since 1990. She has appeared on both BBC and ITV and has recorded for Richard Baker’s ‘Music for You’ and as a soloist with the choir.
Harrow Philharmonic Choir in action